Project Manager (Mine Development) -West Africa
I have a client currently seeking a strong Project Manager for their surface mining project in West Africa
The Project Manager will lead the project towards production as early as late 2012. This person will be expected to lead and run the project from pre-feasibility level economic analysis, permit, design, and construction through to the start-up of the mine operations as quickly as possible.
· To lead the planning and execution of mine development projects from pre-feasibility level economic analysis, permit, design, and construction through to the start-up of the mine operations.
· Manage the successful delivery of project objectives with regard to safety, schedule and budgets at the highest standards. This is achieved through the management and alignment of the existing mine operations’ team, external contractors and consultants
Health & Safety/Environment:
- Demonstrate visible personal commitment to safety on a daily basis through actions and involvement in safety plan development and implementation; by ensuring compliance to all safety programs, regulations, and initiatives.
- Ensure operation is in compliance with all applicable environmental regulations
- Manage the relevant engineering as well as all planning, procurement, recruitment and construction activities on the project
- Initiate, plan and execute the project within budget, timeframe and quality standards and project objectives
- Establish KPI’s and manage the tracking and reporting within Project Controls processes
- Liaison with the management team of the existing mining operation to ensure satisfaction and agreement with project ongoing results and trends
- Ensure timeliness and completeness of all project reporting and recording
- Acts as interface on every aspect of the project maintaining open lines of communication
- Nurture existing and develop relationship internally and externally
- Provide technical oversight and support as needed
- Consult with internal/external partners to plan and organize necessary project resources
Recruiting & Employee Development:
- Assemble a project team with personnel qualified to meet the demands of the project and assign duties and responsibilities as the project develops
- Mentor and develop employees so that they can advance through various career opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree in Mining Engineering discipline or equivalent is preferred.
- Formal Project Management training
- 10+ years of Project Management experience, preferably in surface mine development projects / mine development projects.
- A thorough understanding of mining and mine development methods
- Project planning and scheduling experience
- Skilled and experienced in inspiring and motivating cohesive project teams.
- Management experience from both Construction and Engineering perspectives
- Strong managerial skills
- Proficient in office software applications
- Excellent organizational, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge of project management process
- Proven business development skills and ability to interface effectively with customers
- Ability to work under time constraints and adhere to deadlines
- Must have the desire to take initiative and work independently
- Ability to work as part of and lead a multi-disciplinary team
- Must be able to lead professional personnel with varied disciplines
- Management of consulting companies and contractors
· Expat US dollar salary (tax free)
· FIFO Roster: 8 weeks on / 4 weeks off