2018 African of the Year:
Rwandan President and Chair of the African Union, Paul Kagame has been named African of the Year at the eighth All Africa Business Leaders Awards (AABLA) on 20 September 2018.
About the All Africa Business Leaders Awards:
The annual All Africa Business Leaders Award is set to honour business excellence and leaders who have made a considerable impact on their industry and community. The All Africa Business Leaders Awards (AABLA™) in partnership with CNBC Africa honour remarkable leadership and salute game changers of business on the continent for their continuing commitment to excellence, developing best practices and innovative strategies.
About Paul Kagame:
Paul Kagame is President of the Republic of Rwanda and has been in office since 2000. He is also serving a one-year term as Chairperson of the African Union and has been leading the institutional reform of the African Union since 2016.
Beginning in 1990, as commander of the forces of the Rwandan Patriotic Front, he led the struggle to liberate Rwanda. As president, Kagame has prioritized national development, launching a programme to develop Rwanda as a middle-income country by 2020 (Vision 2020). As of 2013, the country is developing strongly on key indicators, including health care and education; annual growth between 2004 and 2010 averaged 8% per year. The hallmarks of President Kagame’s administration are peace and reconciliation, women’s empowerment, promotion of investment and entrepreneurship, and access to information technology.
Other All Africa winners:
These are the other winners of the night:
- All Africa Lifetime Achievement Award: Solomon Kerzner
- All Africa Philanthropist of the Year: Sir Donald Gordon, Donald Gordon Foundation, (Founder).
- All Africa Innovator of the Year: Benjamin Meltzer and James Paterson, Aerobotics (co-founders).
- All Africa Young Business Leader of the Year: Elikem Tamaklo, Nyaho Medical Centre (Managing Director).
- All Africa Company of the Year: Ethiopian Airlines.
- All Africa Entrepreneur of the Year: Thembahle Baloyi, Discovery Insure (Founder & Executive Director).
- All Africa Industrialist of the year: Quinton Uren, Jendamark Automation (Managing Director).
- All Africa Business Woman of the Year: Nomkhita Nqweni, ABSA Wealth, Investment Management and Insurance (CEO).
- All Africa Business Leader of the Year: Peter Mountford, SuperGroup (CEO).
What do you think? Let us know in the comments below!