Reference No. SRBLR-AM-ESMS-001
CA Global Headhunters has been retained by the Afreximbank based in Cairo, Egypt to recruit for this position. For more information on the Afreximbank please visit their website www.afreximbank.com. Should you meet the minimum requirements and wish to apply for the position please apply directly to CA Global Headhunters.
Reference Number: SRBLR-AM-ESMS-001
Nature & Scope:
The job holder will support the management of environmental and social risk including risk identification, assessment, mitigation, reporting and monitoring across the Bank’s operations i.e., lending and financing activities. This will entail responsibilities for the implementation of the Bank’s environmental and social risk management (ESMS) framework. The role is part of the broader enterprise risk management framework (ERM) of the Bank.
While the job holder will have specific deliverables for environmental and social risk management/ Risk profile, he/she will be responsible for other ERM related activities as appropriate. The role will require working with all stakeholders across the Bank, including Credit, Legal, Finance, Operations, Treasury, Compliance, and Origination functions.
- Proactively Identify all material environmental and social risks across the Banks operations as per the Bank’s approved risk identification methodology, following a top-down approach and considering risk causal factors, the likelihood of occurrence, impact, control activities and effectiveness of controls.
- Ensure that appropriate and/or adequate controls are in place at all times to effectively manage the Bank’s environmental and social risks to within acceptable risk appetite.
- Prepare timely, comprehensive, and reliable risk reports to senior management and board on a monthly and quarterly basis. Such reports shall be reviewed and signoff by the CRO.
- Attend Bank meetings both internal external from time to time as may be requested by the CRO.
- Support the CRO with the effective implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Framework to be able to establish an effective risk-based system to identify, measure, monitor, control, and report bank-wide risks.
- Conduct Environmental and Social Risk Management due diligence and screening for transactions, projects and other activities being proposed for financing by the Bank in line with Afreximbank’ s E&S Guidelines/policy, National /African Union Guidelines as well as other leading practice standards like, the World Bank/IFC Performance Standards, World Bank Group Environmental, Health, and Safety Guidelines, Equator Principles, UN Principles for Responsible Investments, ISO 14001: 2015, ILO Gender, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Branch (GEDI) Guidelines.
- Provide environmental and social risk input to the preparation of terms of reference for the onboarding of technical consultants for projects/transactions proposed for financing.
- Prepare due diligence reports on environmental and social risk management and validate categorisation of transactions in line with the Bank’s environmental policies and guidelines.
- Review and validate transaction documentations in line with the Bank’s environmental and social risk management checklist.
- Support transaction monitoring process by liaising with key stakeholders in the Bank on the status of environmental and social risk type covenants for transactions financed.
- Review and opine on environmental and social risk due diligence reports submitted by the Bank’s technical consultants.
- Support end to end capacity building for members of staff through facilitation of trainings and awareness creation activities on environmental and social risk management.
- Provide environmental and social risk management oversight for key projects /initiatives (i.e., visit project sites; preparation of Terms of Reference and frameworks and review of project documentations, undertake project risk assessments, documentation of material environmental and social /sustainability risks and follow through on the implementation of identified action plans).
- Monitor, track and follow up on all long overdue action plans (internal, and external,) and ensure timely closure or the presence of effective interim controls and an acceptable residual risk profile.
- Perform transaction clearance and review on the Salesforce transaction workflow system.
- Provide support to the Bank’s Climate Finance AN capacity building initiative, and technical assistance programmes etc.
- Coordinate collection and analysis of primary and secondary data, preparing gap assessments in line with applicable national laws and other leading practice standards.
- Perform Environment and Social Risk (E&S) assurance roles to ensure that the Bank’s capability follows the laid down guidance as per the Bank’s Environmental and Social Risk Management Policy.
- Coordinate and track Service Level Agreements (SLA) /requirements for the Risk Management Department or otherwise as may be advised by the CRO.
- Undertake all such other roles and responsibilities as may be assigned by the CRO from time to time.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Advanced degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Economics/Sustainable Development, Environmental Management from a recognized University and/or a professional qualification.
- Strong environmental and social risk management experience within financial services with working knowledge of banking systems, procedures, and controls
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in banking, development finance or related industry.
- Business product knowledge, including an understanding of financial processes to be able to determine their impact on risk and control.
- A professional qualification or certification in environmental and social risk management, sustainable finance, climate finance, banking or other relevant fields is preferred.
- Applied knowledge of environmental and risk management standards and frameworks (e.g., ISO14001:2015, Equator Principles, IFC Performance Standards, ILO Gender, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Guidelines, UN Principles for Responsible Investments, World Bank Group Environmental, Health, and Safety Guidelines, etc.).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and other risk management system skills.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyse, and synthesize diverse information sources, and draw conclusions from complex materials/publications.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision but collaborate with multiple team members.
- Good project management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under tight deadline.
- A good team player with strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team, work effectively in and influence a team, and network effectively across boundaries.
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change-oriented setting with good knowledge of risk practices in Africa.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French. Knowledge of the Bank's other working languages is an added advantage (Arabic, and Portuguese).
Benefits and Contractual information:
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo, Egypt.
- Suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
If you wish to apply for the position, please send your CV to Shearidan Rabsch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit www.caglobalint.com for more exciting opportunities.
Manager – Banking and Finance | Africa
CA Global Finance
CA Global will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.