Afreximbank: Head, Pan African Payment & Settlement System (PAPSS) – Cairo, Egypt
The Pan African Payment and Settlement System (PAPSS) is the first centralized payment market infrastructure for processing, clearing and settling of intra-African trade and commerce payments. PAPSS is an arm of the African Export- Import Bank (Afreximbank), which is a pan-African multilateral financial institution, established in 1993 for the purpose of financing and promoting intra and extra African trade. Afreximbank operates and manages PAPSS.
PAPSS is now ready to start operations and is looking for experienced individuals, who are innovative, entrepreneurial and imbued with the passion and commitment to transform Africa through trade.
Reference Number: LEEBLR10
Lead PAPSS Division Strategy
- Set the vision for the Division and define and lead its overall strategy.
- Develop and implement scalable and efficient strategies to ensure both consistent results and growth.
- Drive growth, profitability and organization value.
- Deliver on financial management strategy.
- Drive day-to-day operations.
- Proactively mitigate business, operational & governance risks.
- Execute the financial plan and own the operational budget and manage. costs while growing the business ahead of market disruptions.
- Attract, retain & develop world-class talent.
- Cultivate a high-performing, agile, one-team culture.
- Champion a successful sales and marketing strategy to deliver revenue and profitability goals.
- Manage competition and threats in the marketplace, with constant evaluation of business strategy & strategic options.
- Manage engagement with African Central Banks at the highest levels as well as with the African Union (AU), African Development Bank (AfDB) and other African and global multilaterals that support trade.
- Continue to develop and optimize the PAPSS business model ahead of the market.
- Provide guidance to all functional areas, including switching services, settlement, product management, payment regulations, payment risks and compliance, innovation etc.
- Regularly report updates to the Board and corporate stakeholders regarding progress on strategic priorities and collaborate with the Board to accelerate progress.
- Invest in strategic partnerships & relationships to drive growth.
- Oversee PAPSS Shared Services Agreement with Afreximbank to ensure effective and efficient services to the PAPSS.
- Serve as chief external spokesperson and public champion for the business.
- Establish credibility throughout the customer and partner networks by authentic engagement to galvanize PAPSS Division to create & drive solutions to core business and developmental challenges in Africa.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Minimum 15 years’ experience out of which ten (10) years’ must be payments experience and knowledge across payment and settlement systems, cross-border payment services, payments regulatory and legal framework; and general understanding of payment services industry stakeholders.
- Demonstrate experience and understand of Trade and African Trade in particular.
- Banking experience and/ or sound knowledge of the banking system sector/ industry.
- First degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Management, Economics, or any related discipline and relevant post-graduate degrees. Graduate degree or professional qualifications is required.
- An expert and strategic thinker with proven track record of achievement and contribution to the development of payment services including systems, policies and procedures.
- Ability to drive the next cycle of innovation in payments markets towards stronger financial integration as well as trade and economic growth and development of Africa.
- Ability to adapt to and drive change in response to changing environments (both internally and externally).
- Ability to liaise and manage key stakeholders including Board members, African Central Banks, regulators, payment service providers, bankers’ associations, FinTechs and other industry associations or bodies; to keep regular updates on business performance and agendas progress.
- Detailed understanding and knowledge of consumer issues; an understanding of the risks posed to consumers and providers within the payment systems sector and its wider impact on expanding intra-African trade.
- Detailed understanding of trade especially Intra-African trade and knowledge of clearing and settlement issues as they relate to Africa including that of cross-border payment issues such as bilateral exchange rates issues etc.
- Proven track record of building successful products and high calibre teams from the ground up, ideally in current roles.
- Prior working experience in developing and/ or managing digital payment products and solutions especially cross-border related or experience in digital transformation agendas of an organization/ company or industry.
- Strong skills in financial analysis, risk management and human resources management.
- Must be team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and influential, flexible, with superb presentation skills.
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of the payments industry, experience in managing e-commerce, mobile or other payments projects.
- Excellent communication in English or French. A working knowledge of French is an advantage and knowledge of Arabic and/or, Portuguese is a plus.
Benefits and Contractual information:
- USD tax exempt salary
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo
- Suitably qualified candidates from all African nationalities are encouraged to apply