Reference No. NKSR-AESRM-001
Our client is seeking to strengthen its team through the recruitment of an Environmental and Social Risk Officer to support their rapidly growing portfolio, consistent with its vision of becoming the leading development infrastructure financier on the continent. On the basis of our clients Environmental and Social Risk Management Policy, they aim to establish a leadership position in the African development community on the application of environment, social and governance practices in the private sector.
- E&S Review and appraisal of new investment proposals (debt and equity) for the clients consideration, including the identification of potential environmental and social impacts, risks and issues as early in the project cycle as possible, develop recommendations for client actions and draft relevant project processing documentation. The E&S appraisal will include site visits.
- Ensure that appropriate environmental representations, warranties and covenants are incorporated in each loan or investment agreement.
- Work with clients to define steps (often in the form of E&S Action Plan) required to meet the requirements of IFC’s Performance Standards, The Equator Principles, African Development Bank Integrated Safeguards System, the World Bank Group’s Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines, and relevant country E&S regulation.
- Oversee the environmental and social performance of specific allocated projects and assist the clients in improving their E&S performance, when necessary. Actively work with Transaction Teams or Portfolio Management to ensure the effective monitoring of obligor environmental and social risk performance, carry out regulator site visits, directly with the client and/or in collaboration with the Transaction Teams or Portfolio Management and flag any breaches.
- Identify opportunities for adding value in an investment project structure related to environmental and social opportunities above and beyond risk management, if and when appropriate.
- Assist in the identification of and due diligence on "green" investments with a view to facilitating the growth of green investments that might qualify for GCF funds.
- Serve as an advocate on E&S matters within and outside the client and contribute to institutional knowledge base by analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practice from specific company investments and disseminating them within the institution.
- Carry out corporation wide environmental and social risk management training, particularly as regards the Business originators.
- Periodically review and continuously ensure that the clients Environmental and Social Risk Management Policy and the Developmental Impact Policy is fully and appropriately implemented and flag any breaches.
- Maintain and update the clients E&S management system and E&S tools relating to its investments.
- Coordinate the measurement and reporting of the development impact of the clients investments.
- Work on the development/continuous improvement of E&S tools, checklists and guidelines to improve efficiency of project processing and enable improved client management of environmental and social issues.
- Where required, work with independent environmental and social consultants hired by the client and/or co-lenders.
- Actively work with other risk management areas (credit, market, operational, etc.), under the supervision of the Chief Risk Officer, in order to ensure that environmental and social risk management is effectively integrated into the clients EWRMF.
- Work with the Chief Risk Officer regularly and periodically to review the overall E&S risks of the clients entire portfolio.
- Work with the Chief Risk Officer in the preparation of environmental and social risk management monitoring reports.
- Represent the client at technical meetings, industry events and environmental and social fora.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Risk Officer.
- Reports to Chief Risk Officer.
- Actively work with the Transaction Teams and Portfolio Management
- Interface with different parts of the organization involved in the end-to-end investment management process
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Graduate degree in relevant discipline (environmental, social sciences, sustainable development, engineering and related). A combination of E&S and engineering training and skillsets would be a differentiator.
- 5-8yrs practical experience in environmental and/or social management and assessment; experience in sectors such as infrastructure, heavy industry, oil and gas, and/or mining required; experience in working with financial institutions a plus.
- Experience and familiarity with the IFC Performance Standards, the Equator Principles, African Development Bank Integrated Safeguards System, World Bank Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines. Alternatively, experience and familiarity with the ILO Core Labour Standards, will be an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyse diverse information and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills. Knowledge of French is a plus.
- Knowledge and working experience in emerging markets, particularly in the African continent and ability to travel frequently in the region required.
- High level of work and ethical standards and a demonstrated ability to handle procedures that involve highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize assignments, and work effectively often under time pressure and with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated maturity and judgment and sound decision-making and negotiating skill.
- Good team player who can work as a member of multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
If you wish to apply for the position, please send your CV to Nicole Koenig at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit www.caglobalint.com for more exciting opportunities.
CA Global Finance
CA Global will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.