Reference No. Reference Number: 133 06 22 VG
Our client, an international mining house is seeking a Chief Mine Geologist, who will be responsible for developing mine geology policies and procedures, coach, mentor and develop mine geology team members, coordinate efforts between different mining departments, design infill drilling-grade control systems and develop block models used to calculate reserves and resources.
- Be a safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Implement first class mine geology procedures.
- Training, mentoring, and supervising the mine geological team
- Design and manage of infill programs.
- Develop mine block models.
- Maintain cost control by developing and managing mine geology budget.
- Preparation of geological reports/presentations.
- Keeping all necessary records and archiving documents in accordance with legal regulations, general acts and Company’s policy
- Communicating results and recommendations to management
- Expected to actively participate in geological works, in addition to any managerial or supervisory responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Development of functional work plans for the work unit from a strategic focus, a quarterly focus and/or a weekly perspective
- Be responsible for the achievement of the plans and goals through ongoing monitoring of progress
- Be responsible for scheduling and allocation of staff and resources to ensure all day-to-day work are completed in a timely, efficient and cost-effective manner
- Ensure that all reporting required meets the companies’ standards and is completed and distributed on time
- Contribute to the Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly mine plans.
- Promote and adhere to appropriate internal methodologies, policies, procedures and standards
- Consistently maintain a high quality of work within the mine geologist team.
- Provide input regarding improvement opportunities and areas of risk
- Ensure compliance with all statutory requirements (including Company Policy, Standards, and Procedures) through training and development of staff and promoting by example
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental and Social Responsibility practices
- Ensure that agreed procedures, safeguards and controls are applied and used
- Ensure all activities are conducted safely and in accordance with Company standards and procedures
- Ensure hazard management plans are observed
- Keep statutory and internal reporting as required
- Active participation to the Health & Safety system development
- Supervise and review the work of direct reports and others and provide feedback to the Mine Manager.
- Overview, provide direction and act as a technical reference point and mentor for staff while ensuring work outputs are in line with strategic and business plans
- Be responsible for implementing and ongoing monitoring of performance and development review plans for all direct reports
- Be accountable for the initiation of any disciplinary action or reward recognition for staff under your report
- Ensure personnel have the appropriate equipment, licenses, skills, induction and training to safely undertake their tasks
- Encourage and facilitate effective and supportive communication between all team members and related departments
- Ensure all costs incurred remain within budget, and identify cost savings opportunities
- Plan, approve and monitor any expenditure under your authority
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Bachelor’s degree (geology or geological engineering) or related tertiary qualification
- A minimum of ten (+10) years’ experience in underground metalliferous mines
- Prior experience coordinating and supervising a mine geology team during mine construction and ramp-up phases
- Strong technical background including experience with block modelling, resource estimation, geologic mapping and grade control.
Benefits and Contractual information:
If you wish to apply for the position please send your CV to Vivienne Gower at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit www.camining.com for more exciting opportunities.
CA Global will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.