Equity Research Analyst - (Investment / Stock Broking / Asset Management) – Jhb, South Africa
- Build financial models for each company under one’s sector coverage.
- Maintain the integrity and accuracy of financial models and deliver a consistent, high standard of timely research.
- Maintain a large list of independent sources / contacts for information (including maintaining good relationships with sellside brokers and company management teams).
- Support, assist and complement the Fund Management team by making recommendations on whether to acquire, dispose of or merely hold an investment based on empirical data and other research carried out.
- Provide feedback to the fund management team on company results or ad hoc news flow and update models in a timely manner.
- Communicate any change in recommendation based on the new information.
- General market awareness.
- Be knowledgeable about a wide range of companies.
- Assist the portfolio managers with relevant and ad hoc information on companies and sectors.
- A key contributor to the company’s Equity Investment Committee meetings.
- Ability to focus on the detail of a potential investment, but also
- to have a broad perspective of the economy and market. This includes keeping abreast of global investment themes and drivers.
- Must be highly adaptable and able to juggle numerous tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate well both in writing and orally.
- Good presentation skills.
- Collaborate with other team members and share information and insights.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Bachelor’s degree
- A post-graduate qualification will be an advantage.
- Preferably CFA or related experience, or studying towards the designation.
- Stock broking / asset management experience
- Previous experience in investment research or fund management.
- Have a good understanding of the investment landscape and equity markets
- Experience in financial modelling and company valuations within the industrials sector.
- Knowledge of the SA investment landscape and an insight into the various asset manager houses would be an advantage