Let's find out where you can grow your career
Group Chief Financial Officer (Treasury / Financial Accounting / Control & Planning / Downstream / Petroleum) – Liberia
The primary responsibility of the Group CFO is to manage the organization’s Finance and Treasury function. The Group CFO will supervise the organization’s Financial control, Financial & Management Accounting (especially the lenders reporting requirements), Financial Planning and Management functions. The role will also be actively involved in the design, execution and implementation of the organization’s group accounting / treasury and risk management systems, policies, and operational manuals to ensure the successful delivery and institutionalization of the organization. The candidate will ensure achievement of Group’s objectives over the near to long term, delivering on its promises to all stakeholders and maximization of shareholder value. The candidate will be expected to regularly update and advice the organization’s executive team and the Board on the above themes.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of the Corporation’s overall Financial Strategy and Capital Structure including the preparation of the Corporation’s borrowing/debt raising plans and strategic equity raising.
- Oversee the cash flow, revenue, and overall finances of the organization.
- Evaluate fiscal choices, monitor, and approve money expenses (threshold equivalent of USD), and liaise with department heads to manage all financial and subcontractor /vendor contracts.
- Monitor the Group’s financial books/position, review and sign off on any adjustments to ensure effective controls.
- Manage the Group’s internal and external Financial audits and provide recommendations for procedural improvements.
- Co-ordinate the organization’s banking activities as well as manage the Group’s external relationships with banking institutions and local financial regulatory agencies as required.
- Assist in implementation of Financial Management systems, policies, procedures and resources and other activities/ obligations which relates to the organization’s financial objectives, budgets, risks, and schedules.
- Recommend and implement benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance of divisions and departments.
- Assist the Management on capital raising matters, transaction structuring and advisory, including restructurings.
- Conduct periodic review of the organization’s Group’s financial and management accounting processes, frameworks, and controls across the business units.
- Manage generation of reports on cash operations, overseeing cash transactions, ensuring adequate liquidity, determining optimal cash availability for use, and forecasting both short- and long-term cash levels.
- Review all financial and accounting reporting processes/procedures to ensure alignment with best practice, IFRS principles consistency across all transactions and activities.
- Liaise with the organization’s GMs and business unit heads to supervise the organization’s financial planning and the preparation of financial reports, budgets, cost reports and financial outlooks and forecasts on a regular basis.
- Monitor and analyze monthly operating results (cost and production) against budget; to advice the CFO of any gaps and interventions required.
- Keep abreast of external and internal trends/developments relevant to financial controls and business planning best practices, to apply the knowledge of such trends/ developments appropriately.
- Work with Management to design, establish and maintain a Finance organization structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the departments goals and objectives.
- Supervise, coach, and develop all direct reports within the Division.
- Possess a strong record of academic achievement at the undergraduate level from a leading university in finance/ accounting/ economics/ engineering/economics/ or related discipline.
- Relevant advanced degree in Business Administration, Finance, Investments or in another related field.
- Relevant professional qualifications/certifications related to finance will be advantageous.
- 10 – 12 years professional experience, with at least 8 years’ experience with a multinational / International company or in an executive or senior management capacity.
- Proven evidence of sustained performance and delivery at management level.
- Experience supervising and managing staff.
- Previous working experience in the resources/downstream sector is a plus.
- Strong knowledge and experience dealing with budgets and financial operating systems.
- Strong experience in Strategic planning, financial modelling, forecasting, financing (debt and equity), cash flow improvement, profitability improvement, Excel dashboards, budgeting, timely and accurate financial reporting, planning, risk management, compliance, M&A.
- Significant achievements in improved profitability, improved cash-flow and fund raising.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a Finance function, and successfully interact with staff, senior management, and the Board.
- Knowledge and experience of working in emerging markets, particularly the African continent, and to work effectively in a challenging, multi-cultural business environment.
- Fluency in writing and speaking English is mandatory, French will be advantageous.
- In-depth knowledge of financial control and business planning.
- Excellent knowledge of Accounting/ financial analysis.
- Excellent financial modelling and valuation skills.
- Strong financial and management reporting skills.
- Highly numerate with excellent analytical skills.
- Knowledge of financial management for the resources industry /downstream sector.
- Strong Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Procedures (GAAP) and US.
- Strong Knowledge and experience dealing with budgets and financial operating systems.
- Sound knowledge of the petroleum industry in Africa and globally or demonstrable ability to learn the industry fundamentals quickly.
- Good analytical, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to demonstrate strong business understanding in combination with excellent consultancy and business partnering skills.
- Working knowledge of project and financial contracts.
- Advanced communication and business writing skills, including ability to interface directly and effectively with investors, senior management, and board members.
- Ability to effectively manage external interfaces including but not limited to auditors, analysts, shareholders, financial advisors, and brokers, listing authorities, banks, insurance consultants, regulators, underwriters, and government agencies.
- Ability to understand implications of business initiatives on finance.
- Ability to manage projects and, when required, supervise auditors to follow sound internal control practices and to manage risks appropriately.
- Knowledge of tax and legal frameworks and the ability to apply this understanding to resolve complex issues and take decisions on organization critical issues.
- Strong skills in negotiating, relationship building, problem solving, and timely problem escalation.
- Fully conversant with Microsoft Office Suite and other relevant software.
- An energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
- A good educator who is trustworthy and willing to share information and serve as a mentor.
- A decisive individual who possesses a 'big picture' perspective and is well versed in systems.
- A strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus.
- An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills.
- Strong professional ethics, accountability, and dependability.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and time management skills as well as ability to manage multiple business priorities within a dynamic landscape.
- Detail oriented but able to quickly grasp the big picture.
- Adaptability and ability to work under pressure and meet challenging deadlines consistently on assignments, juggle multiple demands and to work with all types of individuals up to and including the Chairman and the Board of Directors.
- Excellent leadership/supervisory, relationship and people management skill.
- Proven experience in streamlining complex work processes and ethical leadership.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent inter-personal, analytical, and evaluative judgment skills, plus the ability to think laterally and adapt to changing circumstances in a dynamic environment.
- 3-year renewable employment contract.
- Willingness to travel “out-of-station” with minimal prior notice.