Let's find out where you can grow your career
Head of Project Management & Services (Mining / Petrochemical / Planning / Engineering) – Gauteng, South Africa
509 0709 MHU
August 28, 2021
Our client is a multinational engineering company who requires a Head of Project Management & Services to join their team. The successful candidate would be responsible for leading the project team including project management, scheduling, contracts administration, cost control and quality assurance. He or she will also be expected to be a Project Manager on projects and will be accountable for the delivery of project deliverables on-time, within quality requirements and within calculated costs. They will be reporting to the CEO.
- Implement the company’s project and planning principles, seeking improvements and innovations for continuous improvement. Global representative from South Africa to influence project management strategies for the company.
- Support or lead the engineering effort to ensure operational consistency and the compatibility of departmental, functional and project goals.
- Support or develop strategic initiatives within the department and in the functional organisation.
- Provide cross-organisational communication and support other offices through the engineering.
- Network, assist marketing and sales personnel with client contacts to demonstrate the company’s engineering capabilities.
- Ensure that proper engineering techniques are employed on projects.
- Review, analyse, and approve project estimates, forecasts and schedules to ensure consistency with engineering standards and operating principles.
- Prepare and approve budgets and schedules for project activities and critically monitor performance.
- Prepare and deliver discipline and project-related training to engineering and other project personnel.
- Remain knowledgeable of safety policies and procedures and perform assigned duties in a safe manner and assume responsibility for the safety of those persons being supervised and ensure that they comply with established safety policies and procedures and practice safe work habits.
- Participate in project kick-off and commercial alignment meetings as well as developing and maintaining Commercial Alignment Checklists.
- Coordinate the establishment of the project work breakdown structure (WBS).
- Structure projects in a way that supports the construction work package philosophy.
- Identify and influence the engineering resources on a project. Ensure that adequate, qualified resources are assigned and roles and responsibilities are clearly defined.
- Remain informed of developing technologies and techniques associated with project and planning looking for creative ways of improving work processes.
- Become an active participant in the Knowledge Communities and actively share/ contribute knowledge to the communities.
- Identify, mentor and develop organisational talent.
- Interface and coordinate with internal and external clients as required for successful project execution.
- Determine the project scope of services, in order to optimise resources across Global Networks
- Initiate and sometimes prepare and issue the Project Execution Plan and Project Quality Manual.
- Define the Execution Strategy to accomplish the execution functions of planning and cost management to meet the project scope and job requirements.
- Chair cost control meetings, check accurate cost or schedule progress data to update project progress.
- Manage the Construction department including manpower planning and development.
- Ensure all legal requirements are adhered to i.e. OHS Act.
- Prepare construction schedules and co-ordinate into project overall schedules.
- Promote and maintain client relations.
- Ensure conformance of scope.
- Support and check all cost estimates with regard to field activities.
- Manage all aspects of cost control in relation to budgets.
- Ensure that the quality assurance aspects are adhered to and further developed.
- Execute constructability reviews at all stages of the project.
- Assume legal appointment responsibilities according to the OHS Act 16(2).
- Enforces that projects are audited and quality assurance procedures are implemented for all projects.
- Perform manpower planning and ensure the department utilisation is as agreed and aligned with the projects rate structure.
- Ensures that the leadership positions on projects are filled with the appropriate staff.
- Develops, implements and maintains tools and procedures.
- Takes responsibility to oversee the department by co-ordinating and supervising the project management team.
- Ensures that project costs and targeted margins are met.
- Reviews high-level deliverables across department.
- Defines risks and regularly updates the “cost to complete” in order to avert risks.
- Optimises and establishes the respective execution plans according to the contract with the client
- Communicates effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative project solutions and strategies if called for.
- Effectively communicates relevant project information to superiors.
- Supports and manages business development on a strategic level.
- Grows long-term relationships with clients and capitalizes on equity and partnership opportunities
- Champions change and effectively manage the implementation of new ideas within the Company’s Policies.
- Implement and grow Company`s values particularly regarding diversity, compliance and inclusiveness.
- Liaise and support the Proposals Department with establishing project execution plans for new proposals.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- The candidate must have an engineering Degree (BSc. / B. Eng.)
- Minimum of 20 years` project management experience in the project management environment focused on projects in the Petroleum, Refinery, Oil & Gas or Chemical sectors.
- Proven track record of managing complex projects involving multi-discipline teams is a prerequisite.
- Exposure to engineering management, strategic planning and construction methodologies in a complex environment.
- A qualification in Project Management or Project Engineering Management will be advantageous
- Conversant in legal aspects of Construction, Contract Law and have working knowledge of various suites of Conditions of Contract including NEC but not limited to.
- Understanding of the principles in measurement
- Strong communication skills in English both written and verbal
- Good negotiation skills
- Strong planning and organizing skills
Benefits and Contractual information:
- Permanent position
If you wish to apply for the position please send your CV to Mark Huber on firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Executive Recruitment Consultant
CA Mining will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions