Let's find out where you can grow your career
Operations Manager (Tailings / Contract Management/ Production Management / Mining / Project Management) – DRC
012 3004 (SV)
This Congolese national will implement innovative technology to lead multiple projects, against scope, safety, time, quality, cost and productivity standards, through translation and achievement of strategic and financial goals, stakeholder management, complex commercial management, operational delivery and oversight. They will be reporting to senior management on strategic project goals and performance.
- Participate in setting the strategy for the division and lead the setting of the project strategy.
- Executing multiple projects to support sustainability of the broader business, including reputation and meeting industry and market requirements.
- Assist with site inspections and finalisation of tenders in conjunction with commercial / estimating team.
- Negotiate with client on new work, current contract and variation orders, with inputs from QS and Commercial Manager.
- Contributing to final commercial close-out of projects.
- Ensure the company's policy on social responsibility is adhered to.
- Align to client ESG requirements and ensure compliance throughout the project implementation.
- Balancing internal organisational requirements with internal and external stakeholder requirements, in order to deliver the project successfully.
- Promote ongoing open communication with Client Project Manager to foster good relations between the company and the client.
- Plan and set up the project according to contractual and tender requirements, as well as considering best practice and standards for civil / tailings projects.
- Ensure project is executed within budget, scope, timelines, productivity and SHEQ standards.
- Ensure that the project site and operational practices are fully compliant to SHEQ requirements, policies, legislation and systems.
Management Operating System & Reporting:
- Draft and complete a project management report on a monthly basis, including safety, quality, community issues, forecasts to completion, schedule, client relations, production, progress pictures, labour matters, etc, as agreed.
- Ensure relevant quality and technical standards are agreed and implemented through the relevant functions on the project.
- Understand and implement relevant internal and client policies relating to technical matters.
- Ensure appropriate structures are set up for the staff requirements/duties for the contract, and site organisational structure.
- Manage direct reports with respect to all people management functions.
- Appropriately hold employees and subcontractors accountable for delivery.
Culture & Climate:
- Ensure a positive work context is established for all internal and subcontracting staff on the project, to ensure a positive morale and climate for all.
- Ensure that any conflicts or challenges with client culture is managed appropriately to maintain and enhance client relationship.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Must be a Congolese national
- Must have a Degree in BSc Engineering or B-Tech in Mining/Metallurgical/Industrial or Civil Engineering Project Management qualification e.g. PMI or MDP or management qualification
- Must have 8-10 years’ experience as Mine Overseer / Engineering Manager in a mining production environment, preferably on complex projects of at least R5 million a month
- Must have 10-15 years relevant experience in respect of managing complex tailings projects with emphasis being placed on project management; construction and contract management; financial management, risk management, commercial and legal management; operational planning, safety and implementation; HR management
- Must have experience in Tailings and Production Management
- Excellent contract management skills.
- Excellent planning skills and proficient with planning tools.
- Strong persuasion & negotiation skills.
- Financial and budgeting control skills.
Benefits and Contractual information:
- Permanent position