Principal Safety Standards (Mining / Technical standards / Health & Safety)– London
Safety’s purpose is to support a step change in business performance by developing the organisation’s capability to manage risks and exploit opportunities in Safety.
Facilitate the development, maintenance, and implementation of a suite of Group technical standards to eliminate and/or minimize the risk of fatalities, and serious incidents and aid in the delivery of best in class safety management and performance.
Safety & Health
- Exemplify a culture where safety and health is paramount and act as a role model
- Visibly lead by example and set clear, consistent expectations, including consistent use of systems, symbols and behaviours aligned to the company’s values
- Create culture to embrace feedback and be open to challenge unsafe behaviours
- Ensure application of safety & health principles in all operational and non-operational interactions
Performance & Delivery
- Facilitate Technical Standards Steering Committee governance and administrative activities including, but not limited to, convening committee meetings, drafting agenda, maintaining existing standards, motivating new standards, tracking committee approvals and actions, and monitoring implementation of and compliance to Group Technical Standards.
- Advise and define objective key performance indicators to monitor implementation and effectiveness of Group Technical Standards and establish a performance monitoring and reporting regiment.
- Ensure all Group Technical Standards and supporting documents are properly maintained in the companies document management and control IT solution.
- Develop and implement a compliance program to monitor implementation and effectiveness of Group Technical Standards at operations, analyse systemic compliance, and routinely report status to the Group Technical Standards Steering Committee.
- Ensure all new and revised Group Technical Standards and supporting documents follow the clients Change Management process, including identification of key stakeholder, formation of cross business / functional working groups, analysis of impacts, and development and implementation of a communications and training plan.
- Monitor best practices and emergent developments with respect to technical standards administration, governance, and compliance within and external to the mining industry.
- Mentor, coach, and guide technical standards owners, technical standards steering committee members, and BU / Operational Leaders on technical standards implementation and compliance as well as facilitate the exchange and sharing of best practices, organizational learnings, and compliance programs amongst Group Technical Standards owners and business unit / operational leaders.
Capability Required to do the role
- Required: An undergraduate qualification (Bachelors / Honours degree or equivalent) in a relevant discipline such as life sciences, environmental management, Technical, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Communications, Publishing or related discipline
- Desirable: A postgraduate qualification (Masters / Doctoral degree or equivalent) in a relevant discipline such as life sciences, environmental management, Technical, Social Sciences, Business Administration
- Track record in Safety Management, Engineering, or Project Management
- Expertise of record developing and successfully implementing Safety Management Systems, Engineering Programs, and/or Project Management, including compliance programs and document management and control systems.
- Leading ideas generation, translation of these into practical initiatives with demonstrated success in Safety Management in a global / regional context.
- Track record of acting as a company-wide coach, advisor and mentor in a technical discipline with change management expertise.
- Track record of operational experience within a large global multi-commodity mining, manufacturing or related industry.
- Demonstrated experience in a senior leadership role within a technical environment, managing workload and reviewing work of others.
- Must be fluent in English
- Domestic, regional and international travel will be required
- Work on site at Mine operations may be required. This may involve activities of a physical nature in a typical mine environment (for example noise, vibration, heat, small spaces, high altitude, reduced visibility)
- Ability to balance strategic thought with delivery of tangible business outcomes
- Timely, pragmatic and effective decision making, drawing on limited inputs and sometimes incomplete information