Let's find out where you can grow your career
Project Manager, Technology & Improvement (Mining/ SQLCST/ Project Management/ Mechanical Engineering) – KZN, South Africa
January 28, 2022
Reference Number: 72 GS
Our client, an international mining company, is looking for a Project Manager, Technology & Improvement to join their operations. The ideal candidate will apply their talent, enthusiasm, and expertise in managing projects that will maximize the value in the production of Safe, Quality, Low-cost Sustainable Tons (SQLCST). The incumbent will be expected to function and execute projects within a multi-disciplined environment.
- Business Performance & CI:
- Manage performance improvement of resource management models and equipment.
- Provide critical input to field studies and project teams.
- Work with Regional Projects managers to optimize and ensure standardized service delivery to Business Units.
- Support the development and implementation of systems and initiatives to drive performance excellence for the projects.
- Communicate project plans and outcomes with senior management, other disciplines and within the project.
- Manage project interfaces within the project environment and with the client.
- Manage the assignment of resources to projects.
- Manage and ensure integration between the various technology capabilities involved in project execution and delivery.
- Manage and ensure the achievement of SLAs and key targets in service delivery.
- Ensure a standardized approach to service delivery is followed for all services.
- Compliance, Governance and Assurance:
- Ensure and maintain a healthy environment, safe operations, and practices.
- Comply with OHS (occupational health and safety) and technical requirements, in line with Plant / Mine availability targets.
- Ensure all business and engineering operations adhere and comply with corporate governance, statutory, legal- and other requirements.
- Adhere to MHSA and OHS Act and comply with company specific SHE policies and procedures.
- Manage risk by assessing liabilities, reporting, and monitoring standards, as well as attending to rehabilitation / environmental problems in line with company standards.
- Knowledge Management CI & Skills:
- Put in place Continuous Improvement initiatives to improve systems and processes by extracting information and compiling new reports and or existing standard reports on best practice systems and processes to identify and meet organizational needs.
- Actively pursue the exchange and preservation of information between operations and individuals to facilitate effective knowledge management according to organizational objectives.
- Builds relationships across the company value chain by sharing business information and knowledge.
- Working knowledge of a Project Management Methodology (Agile, PMBOK, etc.)
- Working knowledge of engineering disciplines (civil, mechanical, electrical, etc.) and standards
- Working knowledge of the Construction Regulations (OHS Act and Regulations)
- Change Management, Leadership skills.
- Conflict resolution skills
- Risk management skills
- Performance management skills
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and elements simultaneously.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to interpret medium to long term production requirements.
- Ability to set, monitor, evaluate and achieve project objectives/targets.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and communication skills.
- Facilitation of meetings
- Working knowledge of SAP, MS Office, etc.
- Working knowledge of capital budgeting and management processes
- Working knowledge of a Projects Portfolio Database (EPM, Instantis, etc.)
- Working knowledge of supply chain and contract management process
- Business Partnering and Customer Relationships:
- Effectively manage project stakeholders, contractors, external consultants, and service providers to ensure enhancement of synergies and limiting disruptions during the project.
- Establishes and maintains Business Partner Relationships with the appropriate parties to facilitate the optimal functioning of the Functional Area.
- Represent the company at applicable forums.
- Develop and implement project plans that are in line with organizational plans to ensure that the plant runs at optimal capacity to help achieve organizational strategies.
- Develop detailed work breakdown structures, project plans and budgets, and revise accordingly to meet changing project needs.
- Track project performance against baselines, apply adequate corrective actioning techniques to manage poor project performance and compile monthly progress reports.
- Ensure projects are managed from proposal to commissioning and handover stages by developing specifications and expenditure justifications, establishing performance milestones, monitoring and correction mechanisms for projects so that the project KPI’s are met.
- Submit the project for gate approval with all required information in accordance with the Innovation and Investment and Management of Change processes
- Ensure relevant engineering/regulatory standards and are adhered to and changes are signed off by the Asset Leader.
- Organize and execute the project into stages, as appropriate, to allow disciplined control of all project risks (i.e., scope, schedule, costs, functionality, construction)
- Manage and participate in the design, planning, construction, supervision and commissioning of approved plant upgrades and modifications.
- Prepare and effectively administer the budgets for projects and identify opportunities for reducing costs where possible.
- Review and manage work scopes, schedules, and resources to ensure that adequate information is provided to undertake projects effectively.
- Develop and/or provide resources to assist and/or develop suitable scopes of works that can be used as a controlling document and interface between the company and contractors undertaking the works.
- Ensure that project data including drawings, relevant procedures and specifications are enforced and updated as required.
- Interface with the Operations to ensure all projects are effectively scheduled.
- Ensures cost control of projects is undertaken and reported on a monthly basis in regard to cost, progress/status, and SHE performance.
- Perform quality assurance, planning and control to ensure projects are aligned to quality policies, procedures, strategies, and objectives.
- Perform risk management to effectively identify, analyze, respond, monitor, and control project risks to limit project performance impacts.
- Ensures that all project activities are undertaken to minimize impact to production.
- Provides suitable technical support from within the department or via external consultants to all departments in response to Operational requirements.
- Defining project resource requirements to execute the projects portfolio, manage and develop project resources and teams to achieve project outcomes.
- Perform SHE management in line with Site procedures, policies, and strategies to ensure projects are executed safely.
- Attend site visits, adjudicate tenders, and compile/process tender approval documentation.
- Perform supervision activities, manage construction activities, and resolve conflict/disputes
- Conduct value engineering during project phases to ensure project constraints are accommodated and to seek alignment with business strategies.
- Assist with the 5-year capital plan, capital budgeting process and prioritization of the project’s portfolio with Site, T&I, Maintenance and Operations Management
- Provide support to Project Leader to ensure departmental objectives, outcomes and strategies are achieved
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- B Eng./ BSc Eng./B-Tech, Mechanical (Mandatory)
- Qualification in Project Management, NQF Level 7 (Mandatory)
- Driver’s License Code 8
- Minimum 10 years’ experience Engineering and Project operations within a heavy industry / mining / mineral or chemical processing / production environment (Mandatory)
- 3 years’ experience in contract staff (Mandatory)
- 5 years’ Engineering Technical experience and ability (Recommended)
Benefits and Contractual information:
- Attractive salary package.
If you wish to apply for the position, please follow the application link.
Please visit www.caglobalint.com for more exciting opportunities.
Recruitment Consultant – Francophone Africa
CA Global will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.