Senior Legal Collections Manager (Credit Risk / Legal / Recoveries / Microfinance) – Pretoria, South Africa
The Senior Legal Manager (Collections) reports to the Legal Collections Executive who is responsible for all clients handed over for legal recovery across the Group. The main purpose of this role is to maximize recoveries on these accounts whilst effectively managing time and cost. This role also has indirect reporting lines to the Credit Risk Executive and Internal Legal Counsel to ensure that the terms and conditions of investment transactions as approved by the Board of the companies fund management companies are correctly, timely and contractually implemented. This person provides sound legal advice and support to address legal risk identified by the credit risk management process. This includes contract management and management and monitoring of outside legal counsel.
- Monitor and drive legal recoveries by identifying most effective recovery strategies given collateral held, local legislation, time, and cost.
- Work closely with in-country Credit and Investment teams to manage appointed Service Providers, consider recovery options, and follow up on agreed actions.
- Support the Legal Collections Executive in setting monthly projections on recoveries that support regional profitability.
- Ensure the litigation database is up to date with all required information to support effective and informed decision making.
- Ensure disputed cases are tracked and input provided as and when necessary.
- Provide Sound legal advice and support as part of the credit risk management process.
- Efficient and effective legal implementation.
- General legal assistance to all business units in the region.
- Efficient and effective Legal Implementation: Facility Agreements and Conditions are in line with local legislation and effectively mitigate Legal Risk / Investment T&C’s as approved by the Company Fund Manager Board are correctly, timely and contractually implemented.
- Litigation: Accountable for the risk of financial or reputational loss arising from legal action - disputes for or against the company
- Legal Recoveries: Maximize recoveries & Minimize time and cost.
- Managing the external service providers: Managing external service providers to maximize recoveries
- Reporting: Monthly reports to update all internal stakeholders of progress
- Legal Advice: Sound legal advice and support as part of the credit risk management process
- General Legal Drafting of agreements: Quality legal documents Drafted
- Manage adherence to Legal Collections Policy and Procedures: Ensure compliance to policies and procedures
- At least 10 years’ experience in a Legal Collections’ environment.
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate experience in Collections, Litigation, Compliance and Contracting with a good history of working for company/companies in a similar role.
- Formal Under-Graduate Legal Qualification at a recognized tertiary institution.
- Worked in a financial intuition with commercial driven goals.
- In-depth knowledge of administrative laws and procedures.
- The person should be assertive and able to effectively coordinate, negotiate and drive actions to meet expectations. This person should be able to manage conflict in a positive manner to support expected outcomes.
- The ideal candidate has the ability to draft and review documentation with minimal supervision and be confident in providing advice in a fast-paced environment.
- S/he has excellent communication skills with the ability to build relationships within the business and with external providers.
- Good organizational, prioritization and time-management skills.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.